Who Are The Angels?
Angels Against Abuse (“Angels”) was created by a small group of visionaries who saw a need to provide assistance to children beyond the scope of basic services covered by the foster care system. Most often, these children are removed forcibly from their homes due to abuse, and they are placed in the care of agency housing or private foster homes. The experience is traumatic, and the children often leave with nothing but the clothes on their backs. The Angels team set out to help these kids by
- providing goods and services not covered by the foster care system;
- helping to reduce the trauma of home removal;
- trying to create as many traditional childhood experiences for these children living in non-traditional conditions; and
- working with children and families to stop the cycle of abuse.
We strive to provide care and assistance to children and families in the foster care system in Pinellas County who have been abused and neglected with the ultimate goals of helping children find a safe home life and breaking the cycle of parental abuse.
To review a detail of our programs, please check out this pdf.
Board of Directors
Sandra L. Kearney
Rebecca W. Hudson
Holli K. Hudson
Rebecca W. Hudson
John E Kearney, Sr
Sandra L. Kearney
Justin Rowlson CPA
Rowlson & Company
- There are approximately 4700 children in Pinellas & Pasco counties that are in the Welfare System. We have touched thousands of children’s lives over the past 8 years with our many programs we provide.
- Angels serve children ages zero to 21 by providing assistance both to minor children and by providing support to those young adults who “age out” of the foster care system.
- All volunteer staff consisting of approximately 85 volunteers.
- Angels are able to mobilize within 24 hours to serve the need of a child.
- Children served, reside both in individual foster homes and in group housing including Sallie House, Children’s Village, Ready for Life, Guardian ad Litem, Kinship Care, Sheriff’s Office and other agencies needing our assistance.
Angel Programs and Partnerships
With the constantly changing nature of the child welfare system, the Angels are in a unique position and having the talent and flexibility to adapt to better serve the children. Programs will adjust or change based on the needs. Below you can see a list of both current and past programs that have been able to serve the needs of those in the child welfare system. For more information on our current programs, please check out our Details of Programs. To see our new and exciting programs, visit our page introducing these programs.
- Campbell Park Elementary School Pre-K First Five Program/BabyCAT started in 2020 and Kings Highway Elementary School in 2021 – Partnering with Directions For Living, this program allows for a Clinical Consultant to work with the child, teachers, and parents on behavioral issues.
- Friends For Children Mentoring System – Providing educational supplies for children in need, as well as a Christmas Giving event that gives children a chance to get their wish list filled
- Opportunity Outreach – Working with Guardian Ad Litem Foundation, this program provides assistance in funding “normal” kid experiences, including fees for school, community, and church programs.
- Mouse Nibbles Program – Working with the Kind Mouse to provide food to the growing population of hungry children in the community.
- The Kind Mouse Operation Angel Baby/Mouse Nibbles Program – providing bags filled with infant needs to agencies needing urgent items for infants.
- Kids Celebrate! Program – provides themed birthday parties specifically designed for children staying at Sallie House/Children’s Village.
- Christmas Giving Program – Working with many agencies, approximately 400 children are given a Christmas miracle by providing them gifts to make them feel special.
- Angel Bag Program – provides backpacks full of comfort items and basic supplies to children immediately upon being removed from their homes due to abuse.
- Gas Card Program – provided to Guardian ad Litem to facilitate their support of children in the court system.
- Ready for Life Holiday Gift Card Program – provide gift cards to young adults who have “aged out” of the foster system and need assistance purchasing basic household items.
- Helping Hands Program – provides for emergency requests such as diapers, formula, clothing, bus transportation and similar for children in need.
- Peer Mentoring Program – which provides support for troubled parents with their court-appointed plan as they work to regain custody of their children.
- Mad Hatter Tea Party – an annual event for hundreds of children in the foster system, providing them a unique celebration and a view to a brighter future.
- Child Advocacy Expo – Our annual event to pull all the agencies together to network and tell their mission for the purpose of working as a TEAM to do what is in the best interest of the children we advocate for.
Angel Partners and Givers
Without these individuals, businesses, organizations and foundations we would not be able to sustain the many programs we provide. All of our Generous Givers are the real Angels! Again, we can not do this without you and our gratitude is endless.
Al & Susan Bennati
Allen & Sarah Keesler
Angels Against Abuse, Inc
Bailey’s Medical Equipment
Blackbaud Giving Fund
Blakemore & Satori Kearney
Brad & Kathy Ball
Career Now Brands
Career Path Training/Roadmaster Driving School Clearwater Barre
Clearwater Marine Aquarium
Creative Outdoor Advertising
Curativa Bay Corporation
David Herman, Trustee White Family Foundation David & Joanne Yates
Diana & Kerry Helinger
Donald & Holli Hudson
First Home Bank
Flora and Mike Corrigan
Fostering Hope of Florida
Helen & Rudy Consoni
J Larsen & Associates CPA
James & Kriste Helinger
Jason & Amanda Meland
Jason & Christi Strauss
Joan C Tiffany
John & Sandy Kearney
John & Karen Kearney
Just Give – Great Non-Profits
Ken & Maureen Heretick
Kim & Richard Bauer
Mark & Jessica Young
Matt & Valerie DiGennaro
Neil & Cindy Campbell
Network for Good
Nick & Kate Catizone
Nicole & Tony Spinelli
Paula & Charles Park
Pinellas Realtor Organization
Socius Family Foundation
St Pete Glitter Queens
Ten Pins Bowling Alley
The Broadrick Family Foundation
The Kind Mouse
The Speer Foundation
The White Family Foundation
Vector Commercial Real Estate
Veterans of Foreign War Post 2473